The Utah Department of Corrections' VINE Service is a free automated hotline that provides victims and community members with offender information and notification 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Access to this data is available by using any touch-tone telephone. By entering the inmate's name or offender number, the caller can find out if the offender is in custody, and if the offender has a release date. If you have difficulty with the name or offender number you may access a VINE operator or contact the UDC Victim Services Unit for assistance.
Registration for notification also is available using a touch-tone telephone or online. Once registered, the Vine system will call with notification of custody status as listed below. You also may elect to receive notifications by email. The system will send one email notification or call the registered party every hour for up to 48 hours, or until notification is confirmed through entering of the correct PIN code.
- Use of the UDC VINE Service is free.
- After you have registered for notification, the UDC VINE Service will notify you if an inmate is released, transferred, escapes or dies.
- All registrations through the UDC VINE Service are anonymous.
- You may register more than one telephone number, using the same PIN for each registration.
- If you are not home when the VINE system calls with a notification, the service will leave a message and call back within two hours.
- You may check online or call the UDC VINE Service as often as you like from any touch-tone telephone to check on an inmate's custody status.
- Live VINE operators, fluent in English and Spanish, may be accessed at any time.
Notification for Utah Department of Corrections' inmates will be made to registered callers for the following events:
- Release from prison
- Escape from custody
- Return to custody from escape
- Parole release date 30 days prior to release
- Moves to county jails, moves between the Draper and Gunnison prison sites, or moves to community correctional centers (halfway-house)
To register with the UDC VINE System, call toll-free 1-877-884-8463 or visit www.vinelink.com.
For questions regarding VINE, notification, or victim issues, contact Doug Fawson with the Utah Department of Corrections' Victim Services Unit at 801-545-5658.